If you need to feed your mob, this recipe is for you.
10 uncooked Italian sausage links
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 jar (26 oz) meatless spaghetti sauce
1 can (6.5 oz) sliced mushrooms
1 medium green pepper, julienned
1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
1 medium white onion, julienned
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 loaves French bread
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausages in olive oil. Drain when done.
- Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until sausages are no longer pink on the inside.
- Slice French bread loaves lengthwise but not all the way through.
- Cut French bread loaves widthwise into five pieces.
- Fill each with sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms and sauce.
- I grill my sausages so that they have grill marks and a nice smokey taste. Do not cook them through. Once they start to turn golden brown on the outside, remove them from the grill and place them in the slow cooker.
- As for serving, I garnish with red pepper flakes.