- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine - 1 stick
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups ham - chopped
- 5 cups potatoes - thinly sliced
- 3 cups cheese - cheddar, shredded
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 green bell pepper - chopped
- Mix flour, pepper, and salt (omit salt if you think ham and cheese are salty enough).
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour mixture. Cook over medium heat for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Return to heat and cook until thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a very large bowl, mix remaining ingredients with sauce.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Place covered casserole dish in oven for 90 minutes. Remove cover after first 30 minutes.
- Serves 8.