- 1 quart peppermint ice cream
- 1 quart eggnog
- 4 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles ginger ale, chilled
- 1 cup rum
- 24 small peppermint candy canes for garnish
- Set aside 2 or 3 round scoops of ice cream in the freezer for garnish. Stir remaining ice cream until softened. Gradually stir in eggnog and rum.
- Transfer to a punch bowl, and stir in ginger ale. Hang candy canes around the edge of the punchbowl.
- Float reserved ice cream scoops on top, and serve immediately.
- If peppermint ice cream is not available, substitute vanilla ice cream and add a few drops of peppermint extract while stirring.
- Rum is optional should you decide to serve a nonalcoholic version.