- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups (1 12-oz package) fresh or frozen cranberries
- Wash and pick over cranberries. In a saucepan bring to a boil water and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cranberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until cranberries burst.
- At this point you can add all number of optional ingredients. We typically mix in a half a cup of roughly chopped pecans with or without a few strips of orange zest. You can add a cup of raisins or currants. You can add up to a pint of fresh or frozen blueberries for added sweetness. Spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice can be added too.
- Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and then chill in refrigerator. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Optional items that you can add are pecans, orange zest, raisins, currants, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice.
- Cranberry sauce base makes 2 1/4 cups.